College Athletics Broken Down

with No Comments

Looking into the system of college athletics can really make one begin to question the system that is currently in place and why it is the way it is.  As I began to look into this topic, I started to research and several other questions came to mind that were underlying also came to fruition: does being on a scholarship count as being paid, what needs to be done in order for this to change from the current system in place, how can the NCAA make an equal but effective transition amongst all sports and lastly, what are the pros/cons of paying these student-athletes. All of these questions feed back to my main point: why college should college athletes be paid.  The NCAA describes themselves as, “a member led organization dedicated to the well-being and lifelong success of college athletes.”  I find this statement ironic as the NCAA is a multi-million and as of the past couple of years, multi-billion dollar organization that profits revenue generated by TV rights/contracts, ticket sales, and merchandise of advertisement of these college athletes, that see not even one cent of it.  To me, that seems as though that isn’t ensuring the well-being of student athletes.  The more I look into the system, currently in place, the more I see the need for change.  These athletes devote their lives, blood, sweat and tears, into their craft in efforts to bring their school a title.  At the end of the day, does it really seem fair?lots of people watching football game during sunset

photo-1517008655149-73e6fa31504f

National Collegiate Athletic Association. What is the NCAA? http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/ncaa-101/what-ncaa